Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Robert's car

Robert was passionate about his car. I mean amidst the turmoil of those last few days he was clear minded enough to instruct me to never sell it. And sign the title over to me.

This photo hangs in our bedroom. It is a panoramic print that is over 5 feet long. BMW Roadster Homecoming 2006 with 500 other crazy about their car owners. Spartanburg, South Carolina.

His car, a 2000 Z3 has clearly not been driven much in the last 10 months. The inspection sticker expired February 2013. Of course Robert also told me where to get it serviced and who to specifically call (his service adviser).

I dutifully made an appointment - for today. Get a new state inspection sticker, change the oil, safety check—all so I can go screaming down the highways with the top down and my hair streaming out behind me.

Up bright and early, moved my car out of the driveway, grabbed my sunglasses. Right foot on brake, left foot on clutch, key in ignition and start it up. Dashboard lights flashing but no engine engagement. No deep throated exhaust. Nothing.

Apparently the battery is dead. I don't waste the energy thinking is this synchronicity? more symmetry? coincidence? or just a dead battery? Call AAA to get car jump started and only an hour later than planned I'm on my way to the dealer.

As I am driving along I realize just how well this car fits me. It envelopes me in a hug. I feel an overwhelming connection with Robert, and feel his passion for this car, and for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment