Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Writing and Editing

I spent the day writing and editing copy. Clients' copy. Moving back and forth across genres, between clients. Totally engrossed in the jobs. After hours of work I looked up from my computer screen. Looked up from the words I was so carefully crafting. And it hit me. Hard. I was alone. Totally and utterly. And my heart.....

What I would usually do at this point would be to print out my edited copy and hand it to Robert for his creative input. We met editing copy 45 years ago, and until eight months ago we were still at it.

But no longer. I think of him as I'm writing and editing. Remember that he liked to edit on a printed page. Physical pen to paper. Remember he liked to work on one client a day. Remember his handwriting and notations. Remember discussing his edits and mine. Too much remembering right now. Too many tears.

I hear a crow clacking outside my window. And remember..."Nevermore."

No comments:

Post a Comment