Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I Do Not Need Fixing. I'm Just Grieving the Death of My Husband.

I had to see my primary care physician because I now have a new one. My doctor of over thirty years left to set up a concierge practice two years ago. His replacement lasted little more than a year and now I am on Doc #3.

All I needed was for my prescription to be rewritten. My prescription for those life saving little yellow pills. My safety net. But protocol demands I meet the new Doc #3 before she will write said prescription.

I painted her a picture of my current situation. An abridged version, my husband's two year battle with cancer and his death four months ago. I was crying in the examine room while waiting for her and thought it might be helpful to explain my tear stained face.

She listened. And then her defining question was "Do you have family to support you?" "No, well I have a brother in Ohio."  She looks at me with great concern, "Are you seeing a therapist regularly?" "Not a therapist, I meet with the Rabbi every other week."

Have to admit I do not  understand the question about family and the assumption that family is what you need. Or that they can help. I do have family, it is just that they are not supportive or understanding or compassionate. For those things I turn to my friends....my cats, my horses.

I meditate, work on being in the moment, feeling what is going on with me. I do Tai Chi, I gather support from my friends, I joined a Bereavement Group. Apparently not enough for Doc #3.

She gives me her prescription: Weekly therapy sessions and the little yellow pill. There was no, "you might want to consider" or "a suggestion"— it was a prescription to see a therapist.
She said based on what she had heard a therapist would help me get through the grief faster. What it is now a race? There is a time table? I need to be fixed fast? Is a psycho-therapist like a physical-therapist? Have to get there in a timely manner or else.

The top of my head blew off! My anger was over the top. And I flashed back on what I had just been reading before she came into the room in Living Beautifully, with uncertainly and change by Pema Chodron:

   "First, come into the present. Flash on what's happening with you right now. Be fully aware of your body, its energetic quality. Be aware of your thoughts and emotions.
   "Next, feel your heart, literally placing your hand on your chest is you find that helpful. this is a way of accepting yourself just as you are in that moment, a way of saying, 'This is my experience right now, and its okay.'
   "Then go into the next moment without any agenda."

Oh I was in the present. And flashed on what was happening to me. I was totally aware of my heart pounding, my breath up around my ears, and the anger ready to spew out. I turned away from her and paused. This was a defining moment for me. I was aware. I thought of what I had just read. I thought about the consequences of my actions. I was making a fully conscious decision. This was not reactive. I was taking care of myself.

I told her I was outraged by her comments. "You Do NOT Know Me!"  That she did not know what I had gone through and what I was going through. She had no idea how I had dealt with the last two years or how I was dealing with them now. All she had to go on was my request for the little yellow pill. And now she was TELLING me to see a therapist. Not "it is a suggestion" but a prescription.

Doc #3 was taken aback. She thanked me to telling her how I was feeling. Was I being stroked? And she admitted she did not know me. Progress. The therapist was offered as a suggestion. Better. And she wrote the script. Probably to get me out of her office. Looking for Doc #4.

5 comments:

  1. Just signed up with Doc #4. Sounds like a better fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, finding a dr. that is a better fit :)

    Doc #3 definitely chose a poor selection of words if she actually said a therapist will "help you get over the grief faster."

    My dad passed away a few weeks ago-- totally unexpected, and at the age of 53. I'm not married, have no kids, and I moved away from the majority of my family about 4 years ago, so family-wise I am mostly alone here. I have been going to therapy for other reasons for the last year, and I will tell you, you will probably never "get over" your loss, but going to therapy is something that has been helpful for me to move through all of this. She also suggested a grief journal. Not sure if that would be helpful for you (I'm sure the blogging is really therapeutic!) but it's something that is working for me :)

    I'm so sorry for your loss. As heartbroken as I am about my dad, I can't imagine what my step-mother is going through-- she lost the love of her life. With that, I can't imagine what you are going through. Something I keep telling myself is that things won't get "better," necessarily... they will just be different. A new normal. For me right now that looks like a sad version of the life I had before February 1st.

    Sorry for the novel. Love your blog. Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. bleh - all that fixing junk. I burned through several therapists before I found one who didn't see that my grief was an actual "problem."

    Just saw your comment on my huff po piece stages of grief - comments are closed there, so I can't reply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps: I have another post on huffpo called "solving the problem of grief."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete